This reasonably priced program gives you access to inspiring drawing and layout tools. It is a great option for comic artists on a financial plan or beginner artists. There are multiple sites which offers Clip Studio Paint pro download.
|Tons of drawing flexibility||There is a learning curve, so it absolutely takes some time to learn the whole thing, particularly if you haven’t used previous versions or Photoshop|
|Customizable brush options||Text functionality could be better|
|Helpful vector tools||Lacking audio support for animation|
|Extensive coloring options||The interface can be a little overwhelming but this is customizable so you can change it how you want|
|Huge customer base and community||Unlike the EX version, this one doesn’t make available story functions for managing and creating multiple pages in one file.|
|Lots of free downloadable assets|
|New 3D potential|
|New frame-by-frame animation|
|Customer service has improved a lot|
|Clip Studio Paint Pro has plenty of illustration tools, including paint brushes and vector tools.|
Clip Studio Paint Pro, aka Manga Studio, is the less costly version of Clip Studio Paint EX. The main dissimilarity between Pro and its EX upgrade is the number of animation tools and desktop publishing tools to help you organize your comics.
However, this comic book software gives you an abundance of drawing and painting tools to attain professional-looking lines and effects for your comic stories. This is the wonderful software for an artist on a budget since it provides plenty of excellent illustration tools at a reasonably priced.
Comic Book & Manga Tools
As I was experimenting with the program, I realized that several of the hotkeys are the same as Photoshop’s, so if you are already familiar with Adobe’s programs, it should be trouble-free to pick up.
While Clip Studio Paint Pro is a little more intense than other comic creators I reviewed, dedicated novices can get a handle on it after a few hours. If you’d prefer a simpler program that isn’t drawing-intensive, you might be interested in Pixton.
- As far as drawing tools go, this program offers some of the best in the marketplace.
- I was able to regulate the vector settings to create smooth, bold strokes over my sketches.
- You can also make use of the program’s tools to beef up or slim down specific line areas to make your drawings look more efficiently drawn.
- Clip Studio Paint Pro gives you access to 36 pre-designed comic panel pages, or you can use the program to design your own.
- This software also gives you access to plenty of assets including characters, backgrounds, props and affect that you can rapidly add to your panels.
- We were pleased to find that you could still access the posable 3D models in this version. You can make use of these posable figures to help you precisely draw complex gestures and body positions.
Unluckily, the Pro version doesn’t provide extensive desktop publishing tools as EX does. This means you can’t organize, arrange or work on multiple pages within one file, which is a particularly helpful feature when you want to create a digital or physical comic book.
I absolutely loved the word balloon tools. They let you decide the shape and size of the initial bubble, as well as choose where the tail comes out and points to. You have access to all the fonts previously downloaded on your computer, and you can choose the size and color of your font. However, there is no spell check, so you’ll want to make sure everything is spelled correctly. Read Also:
Digital Painting Tools
Since you can apply raster and vector layers in Clip Studio Paint Pro, it is somewhat of a mix between Illustrator and Photoshop – minus the photo correction tools. Amazing, right?
- This essentially means you can paint pixels as well as draw vector lines in one place in its place of having to switch between two programs.
- There are plenty of brushes, airbrushes, markers and shading tools to help you get the perfect look for your drawings, or you can create your own brushes to suit your needs. You can also make use of the pen tool to create freeform shapes.
- While using my Wacom tablet, this program responded wonderfully to my pen’s movements, making bold, thick lines when I pushed down hard and light, thin lines when I pressed gently.
- I was really impressed with the handling of this program as well as the capability to adjust the sensitivity of the tools within the program.
- Paint pro also allowed me to import and work on common image files like JPEG, TIFF, PNG and even PSD.
Tutorials & Support
Clip Studio Paint Pro is companionable with both Mac and PC computers, so a wide range of artists can use them. Since this is a large program, you will require more than 1GB of available RAM to run it smoothly. If you’d prefer a more mobile option and are willing to pay a subscription fee, this software is also obtainable as an app for iPad.
One recommendation we have for anyone taking their comic book creation seriously is to purchase a companionable graphics pen and tablet, as well as a drawing glove, to get the most out of your drawing experience.
You can find tutorials and an FAQ page on the CELSYS website, or you can email a purchaser representative, but there is no live chat or phone support.
Clip Studio Paint’s forum is active so you can also find answers from fellow users. There is a bounty of Clip Studio Paint users out there, so you can also find plenty of user-created tutorials on YouTube.
Clip Studio Paint Pro is the perfect program for artists on a budget since it doesn’t cost very much but still provides plenty of vector and brush tools for you to make professional-looking comics.
This program isn’t the easiest to learn, but with some dedicated practice and time spent learning from tutorials, inexperienced users can become proficient.
This program comes with a bounty of predesigned graphics to make the creation process effortless. Compared to EX, one of the biggest things it lacks is the capability to arrange and work on multiple comic book pages at once. However, this software is the most excellent choice for most amateur comic book creators.
Multiple Brush Options
You have the ability to create and use your own brushes or choose from a variety of different preset brush options to create just about any effect you want.
- Most illustration programs have a finite amount of brush choices, which can be frustrating for illustrators that have a certain effect that they want to accomplish, so this is a real positive in Clip Studio.
- There’s also a huge online database of over 10,000 various materials, brushes and elements that you can access free on the Clip Studio Assets site.
Move your project along much earlier with the influential vector tools that come with Clip Studio. You can spot errors or areas needing some touch-ups much easier, allowing you to complete your artwork in less time, and with less “spill” errors when filling an area with a color that has not been tightly “sealed”.
Extensive Coloring Tools
The program includes a full array of coloring tools, with everything you need to create a vibrant, pro comic.
- You no longer require using other programs along with it to get the colors that you require for your project.
- This is great for those who like to work with one program at a time, and also cuts down on costs, as you don’t need to buy additional tools.
- It also allows you to work in both RGB and CMYK format, which is ideal if you’re looking to print your comic, as you can maintain the quality and color integrity in the finished article.
Enhanced 3D Capability
I think this is an actually smart feature and something only an artist would come up with. In Clip Studio you can make use of and manipulate 3D models and objects really easily with a new suite of tools that permit you to drag and drop additional elements.
What’s astonishing is they have a number of 3d “artist models” that you can import and manipulate into the sorts of poses that you need and then use them either as a reference or simply trace over the lines to get precisely the right foreshortening and perspective.
Really useful for getting dynamic poses and keeping a character’s volume. It also helps to sharpen your eye as you work, with no need for a life model.
Clip Studio Paint is a great choice for illustrators and artists of all kinds, particularly those working on comic books and manga, who want more flexibility and freedom to create precisely as they would on paper but with all the benefits that technology brings.
The inspiring array of tools and capabilities, and now the capability to animate, make this one of the best and most reasonably priced digital drawing software tools out there.
It does take some time to familiarize yourself with everything it has to offer, but if you’ve used Photoshop or similar software before you’ll find your way around it in no time.
Besides, the drawing tools alone are so intuitive that you shouldn’t have any difficulty, and many comic artists are beginning to prefer Clip Studio Paint over Adobe Photoshop, as its fully customizable brushes, perspective rulers, 3d pose library and more reasonably priced one-off price tag make it one of the best Photoshop alternatives.
Clip Studio Paint Pro is less costly and packed with great features, but if you want to create multiple pages, have unlimited frames of animation, and make use of 3d to 2d style conversions, then I would absolutely consider investing a little extra and go for Clip Studio Paint EX, the more advanced version of the program.
Many comic artists prefer Clip Studio Paint to Adobe Photoshop, as it has a number of features not found on Photoshop. Both programs have their advantages and disadvantages though, so consider what your needs are previous to making a buy.
- If you’re looking for feature-packed illustration software with all of the tools and capabilities that manga and comic artists need, Clip Studio Paint is a wonderful choice.